Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rated uncool: internet lingo

There was a time when proper English was written and appreciated. Now it largely fills newspaper columns. First sms and then internet chats have made it an even funnier language than Big B would have imagined in Namak Halal. Don't confuse me for a purist, I just lament the dissection beyond recognition of a popular language. Have a look.
  • roflmao and its derivatives : Did you seriously rolled on the floor and laughed your ass off? Fancy someone actually do that after reading a stupid facebook comment.

  • ma/mah : I find this irritating - 'ma bike/mah college/ ma friends' et cetera. There are better ways of paying tribute your mom. The word is my. Period.

  • eat your letters : Probably the person had nothing to eat so he ate his letters instead. Some examples: intrstd , skul, tok, cmps, 2de, actly/ashley, gn, tc ...
Maybe these words are 'in' and I am too old to appreciate them. Nevertheless everyone, including me, uses short forms in one avatar or the other. (I'm prone to gr8, lol, btw .. ).

The effects should not spill on to your professional life. 'Dear Sir, Can u plz find tym 2 sign ma report' is bound to displease your Professor. It not only reflects on your carelessness but is a sign of lack of respect as well.
Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment